Wednesday, December 18, 2013

December Days - Skiing!

One of my most memorable Christmas gifts as a child was the year we received cross country skis. I had done some skiing on my Grandpa's big old wooden skis but now I had skis that were my size. Our whole family received skis and now we could go together. Our family spent many happy Saturdays enjoying fresh air, trails, white birch trees against brilliant blue skies and laughs over my little brother's escapades as he tried to outdo us all.
Last winter our little girl started talking about wanting to ski but I thought she was too young. Finally at the end of the season we went to a nearby ski club which offered free rentals of sleds I could pull behind me so Sweet Pea could experience skiing. The whole time she kept asking where her skis were. When we returned to the chalet I discovered that they also offered free ski rentals to anyone under six so we borrowed a pair and were off to ski around the chalet a couple of times. She was so excited. The whole time she kept exclaiming, "I'm doing it! I'm skiing!"
We haven't had enough snow to do a lot of skiing in December the last few years but winter has certainly set in early. We've been practicing our skiing since the beginning of the month which makes Mommy happy.
This winter I am looking forward to doing a lot more skiing, especially since it's one of my favourite winter past times. Our toy library actually had skis we could borrow and we've been practicing first in the driveway and now on the frozen lake. Today Sweet Pea wanted to go in the forest but I said we would try that next time.
I think she might be ready to try a short ski at Finlayson Point Provincial Park. If the weather warms up a bit over the next couple of days I think we'll give it a try.

No comments: