Sunday, December 15, 2013

December days - Christmas baking



Sweet Pea using the mixer for the first time - the noise used to frighten her.

mmmm... licking beaters is one of the best things about baking cookies
Everyone loves something different about Christmas. For me one of the big highlights has always been baking special cookies. My Grandma was the cookie queen. She always had cookies on hand and always had us come to cut out spicy gingerbread and melt in your mouth shortbread cookies. Mike's favourite christmas baking includes peanut butter balls, Annemarie's Christmas cakes cherry surprises. Christmas baking is a little bit different now that Abby and I are gluten free and I have to be careful how much sugar I eat. Cookies are definitely my weakness and I find it so hard to not devour them all that I don't do nearly as much baking as I used to. But Annemarie found a good gingerbread cookie recipe that we enjoyed making last week. It uses only half the sugar but still tastes great and little Sweet Pea got to use some of our cookie cutters for something other than playdough. We started with bigger cookies but our girl loves little things and the smallest cutters were her favourite. Really it's a good thing I guess because now we can eat three and tell ourselves it's the same as eating only one!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love This and Love Abby's Sweet Face. Christmas for my family was steeped in traditions. My grandma made what she called "pie dough babies". It was the dough left over from pie making rolled out flat sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and rolled into a log. Slices were cut and baked. Those we could eat right away warm out of the Oven. <3

Gwen Drenth said...

Mmmm... We used to do that with the leftover dough too! We didn't call them pie dough babies though - what a great name for them!