Saturday, April 16, 2011

Geocaching in Temagami

I won't lie, I have not as of yet actually been geocaching. Until two weeks ago I had only heard of it but never considered trying it. I guess I didn't think there would be a lot of caches around and we didn't own a handheld GPS the last time I heard about geocaching.
I was very surprised to do a search and discover that there are 29 of them within 20 miles of the town of Temagami! I enjoy doing things outside and hiking through the bush. I've always loved a treasure hunt so this has me quite excited for nice weather and spring to come so I can try finding them. Imagine, a treasure hunt that anyone in the world can find. Someone had a really good idea :)
There is one quite close by on the way up to the fire tower somewhere so I hope to try looking for it this week if the weather cooperates. Unfortunately they are calling for wet cold weather for the next few days so it may have to wait. I'll post my adventure here once it happens and let you know if it really is as much fun as I think it will be.
A lot of the caches are located on Lake Temagami itself and would be a lot of fun to try finding while houseboating. I wish I'd known about this earlier: so many 'treasures' I could have already found!
If anyone is reading this who has never tried geocaching and thinks it sounds fun check out www.geocaching.com. You can create a free membership and find the coordinates and clues for caches in the area of the lake you are interested in traveling while on vacation.
If it really is fun I hope that we'll be able to do a bit of caching when we go houseboating in June. Abby loves being outside so as long as the bugs aren't too bad I know she will love the walk in the bush even if she is too young to know what we are doing.
We're tossing around the idea of creating a series of caches for our customers to find in 2012. If enough people are interested we'll put something together. We're thinking of making it a series of puzzle caches where you need to find all of the caches to get the pieces to the puzzle. If you return to base with the puzzle solved then you get a prize. Does this sound interesting to anyone? Let us know!

No comments: