Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gearing for Fishing - Williams Wobbler

The Williams Wobbler is a classic spoon that can be used a variety of ways. I tend to pull mine out in the summer when fishing weed beds and want to see what is around. They are successful jigs, can be used for casting, and used as a substitute for live bait behind trolling rigs like hammers or "Christmas Trees" when trolling for trout.
Although I've focused mostly on spring gear and I use this mainly in summer, it deserves a mention as one of those lures I'd like in my box if I had to choose my top ten. Casting off the dock has netted me whitefish, pike, bass, and walleye. Casting by weed beds often bring a pike in if there is one around. Sometimes I'll use a Williams to bring fish in, then follow up with a minnow or worm on a hook. One thing is for sure, that flashing attracts fish. There is no reason why trolling a Williams in spring wouldn't net a trout as well while they are up high. Once they go deep, you'll need lead core or a downrigger to get down to them.
A quick tip on use when casting - you'll have to give them some time to sink towards bottom. When you reel in, some of the best action is to jerk them forward, then reel in slowly as you bring your rod back, letting the lure flutter back down towards bottom, then jerking again to bring the lure in. This jerk-flutter-jerk-flutter action mimics a minnow that is injured and shooting forward, then sinking, then shooting forward. Nothing attracts a fish like an injured minnow. You can get fish just using the slow and constant reel in method, but adding the jerk and flutter gives the lure that much more action and some of those lazier fish.

No comments: