Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gearing for Fishing - Hot N Tot

Today I want to look at another lure that might find its way into several tackle boxes, the Hot N Tot by Storm Lures. I first tried one of these out last year and found it well liked by most species of fish. It does have a deeper range than the previously mentioned Rapala and is not suited well to very shallow shorelines. The depth range on the box says 8-15 feet, and given I bounced bottom when trying it in some 6 foot trolling territory, I would say it is fairly accurate, unless you keep it reigned in and your pole raised.
I pulled this one out in late spring when fishing the real shallow spots for walleye became too difficult with the numerous smallmouth bass nests and weeds starting to infest the area. Other anglers that fish slightly deeper areas than I do in the spring start out with the Hot N Tot right away. I know when I tried one at the end of June for walleye I caught two pike within minutes. My father-in-law
used one I got him for his birthday in about 20-30 feet in the early spring and caught lake trout simply trolling around.
Overall, the Hot N Tot seems to be an all around go getter. I'm not sure if there's anything available in Lake Temagami that wouldn't take one. As with the Rapala lineup, there are many different color options. I have used my silver and black mostly, while my father in law has a silver and blue with some red that he was getting his trout on. Mine has seen walleye, pike, bass, and I believe a whitefish. Once again, don't be afraid to switch up colors if one isn't working.
The lures by Storm can be found at Walmart, as well as other tackle shops. Walmart doesn't carry as much in the line of colors, at least the one I was in. They tend to be cheaper than a Rapala, but they also don't have the durability. Mine still works, but as you can probably see by the picture, the paint has worn, both from hooks scraping it and from fish teeth. Still, it performs, and might be good if you are looking to hit that 8-25 foot range on a budget.
I did pick up a Storm Thunderstick, rated for 2-7 feet, which I look forward to trying this spring to see how it compares to the Rapala. It is similar in look, and I hope it has the same attraction that the Hot N Tot has. Until next week!

No comments: