Monday, August 26, 2013

Steak and potatoes

Honestly, I don’t think this meal is all that interesting. In fact I think it’s quite common but Mike asked if I wanted pictures taken because he was so excited to enjoy it. 
Now we don’t have steak every day. That’s not why I think it’s common. It’s just that there’s no recipe. Anyone could make it. Lots of people do make it. But apparently steak, foil potatoes with bacon, onion and Italian seasoning and skewered mushrooms are worth writing about. This spring beef loins were on sale for less than half price so I picked one up and cut it into steaks and froze them. Every time we have steak Mike tells me I should have bought more. But I’m still learning how to buy meat and can never remember what is tender and what isn’t. Growing up on a farm has lots of advantages and eating the meat you raise is certainly one of them. The disadvantage is that you eat what’s in the freezer. You don’t think about what kind of steak it is. You don’t check to see if you’re buying one that’s nicely marbled. It’s just there. You thaw it and you eat it. This is not a complaint. I am so thankful to have been raised on a farm. It’s just that now I need to buy meat and it always seems so expensive and I’m still learning how to choose a good cut.
The more interesting part of this meal is that we baked cookies on the barbecue to finish it off. We don’t eat a lot of dessert but I want to try a few different things on the barbecue while we’re on vacation so we will be eating dessert most nights much to everyone’s excitement. Before I got pregnant with Abby I pretty much cut sugar out of my diet and I felt sooo much better. I’m careful about how much sugar Abby has too. What this means is that my choice of cookie may not be terribly appealing to anyone who eats Oreos on a regular basis. There is a recipe called healthy cookies going around Facebook and Pinterest. I tried one version that called for mashed banana, oats and chocolate chips and it was surprisingly good. I used quinoa flakes in that recipe and the substitution worked very well.

Today’s recipe has a bit more to it but still has no oil, gluten, sugar, eggs or raising agents. I bought some gluten free oats to try. Abby and I had lots of fun mixing them up. Abby had even more fun ‘having a good taste’.
My cookie sheet is really a bit big for this barbecue so I turned it halfway through cooking and they didn’t seem to get burnt. I preheated the barbecue to 350 using the burner on only one side. I lined the sheet with parchment paper instead of oil because I thought oil might make the cookies more likely to burn. Everyone seemed to think they turned out very well and quite a few of them disappeared before the night was over. I found this was a very forgiving recipe to make on the barbecue. It handled some variation in the temperature without burning or drying out. I had hoped to use my insulated cookie sheet but it ended up being much too big for the houseboat barbecue.

Healthy Cookie

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups of rolled oats
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients together and drop them by tablespoonful onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: